Protecting your property against flooding
- If possible, raise electrical and telecommunication sockets to at least 1 metre.
- Consider fitting flood protection devices such as airbrick covers, demountable barriers, non-return valves for drains and sewerage waste pipes.
- Ensure that your place of worship is inspected and any maintenance undertaken on drainage systems annually.
- Report any street drainage problems to your local authority.
- Move any valuable items that could get damaged to a higher elevation in the building.
- Create a flood kit which could include any important contact details, as well as details of the locations of utility shut off points such as your stop cock.
Subscribe to flood warnings alerts from the Environmental Agency.
For further information about preparing for flooding, have a look at the government’s website.