Clergy and church officials are exposed to threats of violence not just within the church but also at home where people may call upon them out of hours at their homes.
To keep safe, it is important to follow some basic precautions.
- Always check who is at the door; make sure that you can see out of the door but people can’t see in. This can be a spy hole or a CCTV system;
- Never allow callers in to your home unless you know them. If you have a porch keep the door to the house locked and talk to the caller in the porch. If you are suspicious of someone talk through the door;
- It is recommended that you do not give money to someone at the door. You could offer them alternatives such as food or clothing or vouchers for local shops;
- If the caller is in need have a card that you could give them that lists 24 hours emergency numbers for social services, the local police or health professionals, or offer to call on their behalf. Never give them your phone to use.
- Keep a log of the people calling at your home for future reference.