Fire Safety Guidance
Places of worship have a legal responsibility to comply with fire safety legislation. In England and Wales this legislation is known as the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005.
For places of worship in England and Wales places of worship need to:
- appoint a responsible person;
- assess the fire risks in your premises. These must be recorded if you have five or more employees (including volunteers), but it is good practice to record it in any event, regardless of how many people you employ;
- make sure that a fire can be detected and people warned in a reasonable time;
- provide appropriate fire fighting equipment, which must be checked and maintained;
- make sure people can escape safely from your premises and know what to do in the event of a fire.